The following was written by “J.P.Brooke-Little1“, of the Royal College of Arms:
“Once arms have been granted they may be borne and used by the grantee, as his especial, personal mark of honour and likewise by his legitimate descendants in the male line. They may be used by none other than one who is entitled to them by grant or descent.
This does not mean that they may not be displayed by another. To display arms is simply to exhibit them in a way which clearly indicates that they are the arms of someone else. For example many people display the arms of towns … they exhibit the arms of schools, colleges and institutions with which they have some connection; and frequently the arms of famous people are used as decoration. All this is permissible and indeed to be encouraged.
On the other hand … to place on stationery arms to which no title has been proved … is not only pretentious and vulgar but is legally indefensible.”
… unless of course, as is said, you clearly indicate that they are the arms of someone else.
Halsted & Halstead
The Achievement of Arms shown at the top left of each page on this web site was granted in 1826 to Admiral Sir Laurence William HALSTED, KCB.2. Other coats of arms used by men with the surname of Halstead, and its main variant of Halsted, are depicted as follows (the numbers in superscript indicate the Source References):
10th May 1687
HAUSTED and HAWSTED have the same sound phonetically, as do the alternative endings …STED and …STEAD.
The HANSTED variant may stem from HAUSTED where the handwritten letter “u” has been read as an “n”.
HAUSTED was much used in the 13th century and HASTED in the 17th century.
The coats of arms used by men with those surname variants are depicted as follows
(none have been found for the variants HOLSTED, HOLSTEAD or ALSTEAD):
Sir Robertde HAUSTED6
Sir Johnde HAUSTED6
Sir Johnde HAUSTED6
Halstead, the town in Essex
“In Sir Bernard Burke’s General Armory, 1875 and 1878 editions, there is the following entry: ‘Halsted, Town of (co. Essex). Az. a coronet composed of one fleur-de-lis and two leaves or’. The Halstead Urban District Council, upon its formation some thirty years ago, [circa 1886] adopted these arms and placed them in the council seal.
The Rev. Henry L. Elliot, vicar of Gosfield, Halstead, subsequently made some enquiries upon the subject, and he received a letter dated, from the College of Arms, 15 May 1903, from the then editor of Burke’s Armory, as follows: ‘The result of a search here [College of Arms] shows that you are correct in stating that the town of Halstead has no right to arms… I cannot understand how the entry crept into Burke’s Armory.’ “
Granted to the then Halstead Urban District Council, subsequently adopted by the Halstead Town Council.
“The weaver’s shuttles represent the town’s long association with Courtauld’s Limited, and weaving in general, an industry that has existed in the town since the arrival of Flemish weavers in the fourteenth century. The town’s association with the Courtaulds began in 1782 when George Courtauld, a descendant of the Huguenot refugee families, set up in business as a silk throwster. The thunderbolt alludes to Evans Electroselenium (now Ciba Corning Diagnostics), whose managing director gave generously towards the cost of the grant.”
|1||BROOK-LITTLE: "An Heraldic Alphabet", by J.P.Brook-Little, Norrey and Ulster King of Arms, originally published Macdonald & Co. 1973;|
|2||BURKE: "General Armory for England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales", by Sir Bernard Burke, Ulster King of Arms, originally published 1884, reprinted for Clearfield Co Inc by Genealogical Publishing Co Inc Baltimore 2000, viewable online on the Ancestry.com website;|
|3||PAPWORTH: "An Alphabetical Dictionary of Coats of Arms Belonging to Families in Great Britain and Ireland", by John Woody Papworth, originally published 1874, viewable online on the Internet Archive website;|
|4||CORDER: "A Dictionary of Suffolk Arms", by Joan Corder, Suffolk Records Society Volume VII, published 1965;|
|5||REITSTAP: "Armorial de Héraldique et ses Compléments" (Heraldic Armorial and Supplements), J B Reitstap, viewable online in French on the euraldic.com website;|
|6||FOSTER: "Some Feudal Coats of Arms from Heraldic Rolls 1298-1418", Joseph Foster, published 1901, viewable online on the Internet Archive website;|
|7||"Essex Borough Arms and the Traditional Arms of Essex and the Arms of Chelmsford diocese" by W. Gurney Benham, originally published 1916, viewable online on the Internet Archive website;|
|8||The East Anglia and Essex Area web page of the Civic Heraldry of England and Wales web site, compiled by Robert Young;|
Papworth, Corder and Foster each made reference to one or more of the following primary sources to substantiate their entries:
|ASHMOLE: Ashmole MS.804, in the British Museum;||C|
|GLOVER’S ORDINARY: Cotton MS.Tiberius; Harleian MS.1392 and MS.1459, in the British Museum;|
|HARLEIAN: Harleian Rolls MS.337 folios 12-31, in the British Museum;|
|JENYN’S ORDINARY: Partly printed by Nicolas, London 1829, from MS.in the College of Arms,|
|but of greater length in Harleian MS.6589;|
|PARLIAMENTARY: "Rotuli Parliamentorum 1272-1509", Parliamentary Rolls of Medieval England;|
|SMITH’S ORDINARY: compiled by William Smith, Rouge Dragon Pursuivant, in 1599|