Coats of Arms
COATS OF ARMS
The following was written1 by J.P.Brooke-Little, of the Royal College of Arms:
“Once arms have been granted they may be borne and used by the grantee, as his especial, personal mark of honour and likewise by his legitimate descendants in the male line. They may be used by none other than one who is entitled to them by grant or descent.
This does not mean that they may not be displayed by another. To display arms is simply to exhibit them in a way which clearly indicates that they are the arms of someone else. For example many people display the arms of towns … they exhibit the arms of schools, colleges and institutions with which they have some connection; and frequently the arms of famous people are used as decoration. All this is permissible and indeed to be encouraged.
On the other hand … to place on stationery arms to which no title has been proved … is not only pretentious and vulgar but is legally indefensible.”
… unless of course, as is said, you clearly indicate that they are the arms of someone else.
The Coat of Arms (more correctly referred to as a Grant of Achievement) shown at the top of this page was borne in 1826 by Admiral Sir Laurence William HALSTED, KCB. The source of that information2 also lists other grants of achievement connected with the name HALSTED, and those shields are shown below:
of ‘Sunning’ (Sonning),
Berkshire and London
granted 10th May 1687
see also above
|Town of HALSTEAD
in Essex, England
(in source2 as
Other families with which the Halsteds were associated or with whom they intermarried were also granted grants of achievement and their shields are shown below:
REFERENCES: The following are the sources of information referred to above:
1. An Heraldic Alphabet, by J.P.Brook-Little, Norrey and Ulster King of Arms, originally published Macdonald & Co. 1973, reprinted Robson Books Ltd London 1985
2. General Armory for England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales, by Sir Bernard Burke, Ulster King of Arms, originally published 1884, reprinted for Clearfield Co Inc by Genealogical Publishing Co Inc Baltimore 2000